Do I need to have any special supplies at home for my recovery after breast reconstructive surgery?

Question:

Answer:

Rachel McKenna, MSN, CRNP, Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

Bring to the hospital a shirt that either buttons or zips up the front. Just after surgery it can be painful to raise your arms overhead.

Sometimes your surgeon will request that you buy a special supportive bra to wear after surgery. This should be a bra without underwires and one that closes in the front. Many department stores sell these in the sports bra section. You can also purchase on at the Faith and Hope Boutique at the Cancer Center. Some women are also more comfortable in a camisole with a self bra.

The Role of Exercise in Breast Cancer Recovery

The CancerLand Bookshelf: What Will I Look Like?
by Alysa Cummings
April 10, 2013

#