ER Positivity Percentages

Question:

How do you determine if an ER or PR receptor is positive or negative when the results are reported as a percentage? I have seen 15% considered negative in some of the research, but positive in others. Is there a set definition for receptor positivity?

Answer:

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

In general, we consider any percentage level of receptor positivity to be "positive." However, the general accepted cutoff is 10% or higher. Reference is Goldhirsch et al. Meeting Highlights: International Expert Consensus on the Primary Therapy of Early Breast Cancer 2005, Annals of Oncology, September 2005.

Crowd Sourcing and Fundraising

#