Mammographic Needle Localization Biopsies

Todd Doyle, MD

Question:

In my last mammogram they found 9 microcalcifications in a cluster in my left breast, which was an increase over past mammograms.

It was suggested to my husband and me that I have a biopsy procedure done. They explained that I would go for another mammogram, and the radiologist would insert a needle, then a wire of sorts to pin point the location for the surgeon. She would then make a small incision and then somehow remove an area slightly larger than the area of the cluster of calcifications.

Is this sufficient or should I be having a surgical procedure?

Answer:

Advantages of an excisional biopsy include:

• complete knowledge of histology prior to planning further surgical treatment should cancer be found
  • avoidance of false negative biopsies due to a sampling error (possible when pieces of tissue are biopsied with other modalities such as fine needle aspirations)
  • If cancer is found and the specimen margins are negative for tumor, the biopsy may serve as the definitive lumpectomy

Disadvantages include:

• the need for an incision and scar
  • discomfort, anxiety
  • increased health care costs

For an increase in number of clustered microcalcifications on serial mammograms, particularly when no mass is palpable, a needle localization biopsy is an indicated procedure. You should discuss all the specifics of your case with your oncologist.

Read more about Needle localization biopsy.

The Dreaded Mammogram Call Back

#