Saline Implants and Breast Biopsy

Question:

I have had silicone implants for 33 years. I was told that there is a lump that will have to be removed. Are there risks of my implants being punctured during this procedure?

Answer:

Don LaRossa, MD, Professor of Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, responds:

These are very old implants, and you might consider checking the integrity of the implants with ultrasound and MRI scanning. Unfortunately, neither imaging technique is 100% accurate, but they can be helpful studies, particularly if you is going to undergo a procedure. You should discuss this with the surgeon doing the biopsy. He/she can explain his/her level of concern about the timing, the need for general vs local anesthesia, and whether implants or coordination with a plastic surgeon is needed at this juncture. The answers can vary depending on the location and size of the lump. Hope this is helpful.

#