Inflammation on your Pap smear

Question:

Could you tell me what it means if you are told your Pap smear had benign cellular changes/inflammation? I was put on Flagyl for 7 days, and told to have another smear in 3 months. Is this common and is it serious?

Answer:

The diagnosis on your pap smear is very common. While "inflammation" may be a sign of infection (such as sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea or chlamydia), it usually is just non-specific (meaning not due to any identifiable infection).

Treatment with Flagyl (which treats bacterial vaginosis) is a common first step to try to clear up the inflammation so that a Pap test may have a clearer reading. Patients should return for another Pap in 3 months as your care provider suggested for confirmation.

Loneliness and Cancer May Be a Deadly Combination
by Rodney Warner, JD
August 27, 2013

World Cancer Day Part IV: I Don’t Have the Right to Cancer Care
February 6, 2014

#