Link between cervical and ovarian cancers

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question:

Twenty-three years ago I had cervical cancer and a hysterectomy was done. Now I have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Is there a link between the two and is my ovarian cancer a secondary cancer. I have been on hormone replacement for the past 10 years.

Answer:

There is no link between cervical and ovarian cancers, and no reason to think that your ovarian cancer is a reoccurrence of the cervical cancer you had 23 years ago. The evidence is that hormone replacement therapy does not affect the risk of ovarian cancer. I hope you do as well with the ovarian cancer as you did with the cervical.

Brown Bag Web Chat: Focus on Gynecologic Cancers

Are You Aware?

#