Recurrence of cervical dysplasia (CIN) after treatment by LEEP

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question:

My regular GYN just called me to tell me that my repeat Pap 1 year post LEEP was back to CIN 1. What is the incidence of recurrence (my initial abnormals were CIN 1-2) and what would you recommend next?

Answer:

The risk of recurrence of cervical dysplasia (CIN) after treatment by LEEP depends on a number of factors, including the degree and extent of the initial abnormality, the status of the surgical margins of the LEEP specimen, and others. In general, this risk of recurrence is approximately 10%, with most recurrences taking place within the first two years. An abnormal Pap smear at this point should be evaluated by colposcopy.

Brown Bag Web Chat: Focus on Gynecologic Cancers

What to Say When Cancer Returns

#