Sedation during a LEEP procedure

Question:

Is 1-2 months too long to wait for a LEEP procedure? Also, is there any sedation given during the procedure?

Answer:

Waiting 1-2 months for your LEEP (Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure) should not be a problem.

No sedation is usually required for a LEEP procedure, but local anesthesia is used. For particularly nervous patients who I think can tolerate an office procedure, I might prescribe a single dose of Valium for them to take an hour before the procedure if they have a friend to bring them and take them home. For someone who clearly will not be able to tolerate an office procedure (very rare) because of discomfort or nerves, I would schedule the procedure in day surgery where IV sedation can be given.

My Diagnosis
by Alysa Cummings
April 19, 2013

Your Friend the Colonoscopy
by Rodney Warner, JD
March 25, 2016

#