Normal pregnancy after having a molar pregnancy

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question:

My question is in respect to having a normal pregnancy after having a molar pregnancy and choriocarcinoma, have you had any patients in your practice that have had a normal pregnancy after all this. Also what are my chances?

Answer:

Molar pregnancy and gestational choriocarcinoma are unusual tumors of the placenta, occurring in about 1 in 1500 live births in this country. Many of these tumors can be cured without chemotherapy, and even those that have recurred or spread are often completely curable with chemotherapy. The risk of a molar pregnancy in a subsequent pregnancy is only about 1.5%; so most women who have had them go on to have normal pregnancies.

One of the Hardest Things I Ever Had to Do

#