Treatment of borderline cancers of the ovary

Stephen C. Rubin, MD

Question:

A close friend of mine was diagnosed with a Low Malignant Potential/Borderline Ovarian Tumor after a laparoscopy and had a complete hysterectomy. She has now been told that the LMP was also in the ovary, the fallopian tube, and in at least 1 lymph node. What is the recommended treatment at this point? Should I encourage her to get a second opinion at another institution to verify this is LMP and not full-blown ovarian cancer?

Answer:

The diagnosis and treatment of borderline cancers of the ovary has been evolving rapidly. In some circumstances, chemotherapy may be recommended in patients with evidence of spread, depending on the type of tumor, and the extent and type of spread. It would generally be wise to get a second opinion from a pathologist with expertise in this area, and to consult a gynecologic oncologist.

Brown Bag Web Chat: Focus on Gynecologic Cancers

#