High PSA

Question:

My husbands PSA is 50. A DRE indicated an enlarged and hardened prostate with nodules. A biopsy is scheduled. What are the implications of a PSA of 50? Can I assume from this score that he has cancer and that the cancer has spread?

Answer:

Alan J. Wein, MD, Professor and Chair of the Division of Urology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

In the absence of infection, a PSA of 50 generally indicates prostate cancer. Unfortunately, if cancer, this high of a PSA generally indicates advanced disease-- not necessarily metastatic, maybe just advanced local disease. With a physical exam such as the one described, I would say the most likely possibility is prostate malignancy. Have the biopsy done as soon as practical, with ultrasound guidance preferably.

I wish u knew… Understanding prostate cancer screening
by Timothy J. Hampshire
December 6, 2012

Brown Bag Chat: Prostate Cancer Treatment: Where are we now?
January 27, 2011

#