Daily Care for Implanted Ports
Penn Home Infusion Team University of Pennsylvania Health System < Last Modified: November 1, 2001
- Take your temperature every day 2 hours after starting your infusion.
- You should take your temperature if you feel warm, flushed, or have chills.
- If your temperature is above 100.5 it should be taken every four hours while you are awake especially during your infusion.
- Weigh yourself the same time everyday.
- Test your blood for sugar if instructed.
- Notify physician if:
- temperature greater than 100.5 degrees.
- weight gain or loss of more than 2 lbs per day.
- blood sugar greater than _____ or less than _____ (if instructed to do fingersticks).
- Daily temperature, weight, and blood sugar are to be recorded in your booklet. Bring this with you to each office visit.
- Swimming, Bathing, and Showering are permitted when implanted port is deaccessed.
- Anti Coagulation (blood thinning medication).
- Electrical Precautions.
- Make sure the pump is plugged into a 120 volt 3 prong grounded outlet, or use a 3 prong adapter.
- Do not change the electrical plug or cord on the pump in any way.