Dressing Change for External Central Catheter With Gauze
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- Dressing change kit
- Antibacterial Soap
DANGER: KEEP ALL SUPPLES OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN AND PETS.
- Wash your hands (See Handwashing section for more information.)
- Gently remove the Medipore® by peeling it away from the skin. BE CAREFUL NOT TO PULL ON THE CATHETER while removing the dressing.
- Inspect skin around the catheter for redness and drainage.
- Open dressing change kit and put on sterile gloves.
- Open the acetone/alcohol swabs. With each swab scrub the skin starting at the catheter and moving out using a circular motion.
- Repeat step #5 using the betadine swabs.
- Let betadine dry for one minute.
- Remove the extra betadine with the large gauze sponge.
- Open the packet of betadine ointment. Hold the packet directly over the catheter and squeeze the contents onto the catheter site.
- With your ________ hand, lift the catheter and position the 2"x2" split sponge around the catheter.
- Place unsplit 2x2 over split sponge and catheter.
- Remove your gloves and apply Medipore® tape.
- Tape catheter in a looped position onto dressing.
- Change dressing right away if Medipore® becomes loose or if dressing gets wet.