Feeding by Gravity Flow
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You should sit up at least 45 degrees during and for one hour after your feeding. Each feeding should take 30 to 60 minutes. Feedings should be at least 3 hours apart.
You will need the following supplies:
- feeding bag
- 60 cc syringe
- IV pole or hook
Starting Your Feeding
- Wash your hands. (See Handwashing section for more information)
- Close roller clamp on feeding bag.
- Fill feeding bag with formula. The feeding bag will hold about 1000 ml of formula. Place feeding bag onto IV pole or hook.
- Loosen cap at end of feeding bag. Open roller clamp to allow feeding to fill the feeding bag tubing. Close roller clamp.
- Connect feeding bag to feeding tube.
- Open roller clamp to begin the feeding.
Ending the Feeding
- When your feeding is done, close the roller clamp on the feeding bag.
- Clamp feeding tube.
- Remove the feeding bag from the feeding tube.
- Flush and clamp feeding tube.
- Rinse your feeding bag well after each use. Store in refrigerator until next feeding.
- Use a new feeding bag every two days.