- Creative Inspiration
- OncoLink Reading Room
Coming Off the Pump for Implanted Ports
This article has been archived.
Please use for reference only.
Penn Home Infusion Team
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Last Modified: November 1, 2001
You will need the following supplies:
- (1) 10 cc Cannula syringe
- ( 1) Vial Adapter
- (1) vial of 100 u/cc Heparin
- (1) 4"x4" sponge
- alcohol wipes
DANGER: KEEP SUPPLIES OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN AND PETS AT ALL TIMES.
- Wash your hands (see Handwashing section for more information).
- Insert Cannula syringe into the center of the vial adapter.
- Wash your hands (see Handwashing section in this manual for more information).
- Open 10 cc Cannula syringe.
- Clean off (100 u/cc) Heparin vial with Vial Adapter in place.
- Remove cap from syringe.
- Draw up 5 cc air (see picture #5).
- Withdraw 5 cc Heparin and remove syringe from vial (see picture #8).
- Remove all air from syringe and remove from vial adaptor.
- Turn off the pump.
- Remove pump tubing from the injection cap.
- Wipe off injection cap with an alcohol wipe.
- Inject 5cc Heparin flush and remove syringe.
- Gently remove dressing around implanted port.
- With _______ hand steady implanted port with 4" x 4" sponge.
- Using steady upward motion, remove port needle with _______ hand.
- Dispose of needle in disposable needle container.