Electronic Cigarettes

Question

I looked into this question recently and the quality of data is poor and does not allow a definitive answer to this question. The FDA recently evaluated the question and expressed concern. I'm also not an expert on e-cigs (I'm not sure that anyone properly is), but I do know that nicotine itself is a confirmed mutagen. Mutagens are chemicals that cause mutations, or changes in DNA. A normal body cell becomes a cancer cell by acquiring mutations in several keys genes (which ones vary from cancer to cancer). Also, there was some stuff at World Lung this year on lung cancers actually bearing receptors for nicotine, raising the idea that nicotine itself could help drive their growth. So while I suspect that e-cigs may be less harmful than "real" cigs, they probably aren't harmless.

Answer

Jared Weiss, MD, a Fellow in Hematology & Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Lung Cancer: Where are We Now? View the entire transcript.

Homeopathy: What You Should Know

Tobacco Companies Introducing Electronic Cigarettes

Jun 18, 2014

Senate hearing on marketing of e-cigarettes scheduled for Wednesday

Guidelines Presented for Electronic Cigarette Use

AHA supports inclusion of e-cigarettes in state and federal laws prohibiting sale, marketing to minors

Pros and Cons of Electronic Cigarette Regulation Discussed

Jul 24, 2013

Two editorials discuss implications of regulations of ECs as medicinal devices in U.S., Europe

From the National Cancer Institute