Life Insurance After Cancer

Can I still get life insurance if I am a cancer survivor?

Gloria DiLullo, MSN, CRNP, OncoLink Medical Oncology Educational Content Specialist, responds:

There are two great and very detailed articles available on One is entitled: "What Cancer Survivors Should Know About Obtaining Life Insurance" and the other, which is co-authored by a cancer survivor, "Cancer Survivors and Life Insurance." These articles will help you figure out how to get the appropriate life insurance.

Rodney Warner, JD, OncoLink Blogger, Cancer Survivor and Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, responds:

If you got if before your diagnosis, and kept up the payments, yes. Good luck if you’re looking for it post-diagnosis. It depends on what you were diagnosed with, the stage, your treatment, and how long you’ve been in remission. If any company is offering you coverage, it may cost an arm and a leg. Check out this info from LAF.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Cancer Survivorship Webchat. View the entire transcript here.

Medicinal Mushrooms – Support and Safety During Breast Cancer