Costs for Getting to Treatment

Last Modified: December 22, 2010


Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"

Money is so tight and I am traveling quite a distance for treatments. Is there anybody who helps with gas for travel? Gas is so expensive right now!


Christina Bach, MSW, LCSW, Social Worker at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

The American Cancer Society (in Philadelphia and our 5 surrounding counties) does offer assistance with transportation costs, including gas cards and mileage reimbursement. Many other ACS branches offer similar programs, so be sure to contact them (1 800 ACS 2345) or ask your social worker at your treatment site to make a referral.

If you are diagnosed with a blood cancer (Leukemia, Lymphoma or Myeloma), you are eligible for $150 annual stipend, which can help offset the cost of gas.

Also, Cancer Care has a program specifically for Myeloma patients called "The Door to Door Program" which reimburses for gas, parking, cab fares and public transportation.

Other local, community agencies may have dedicated funds to assist with transportation. Your social worker can help you identify what may be available and how to access assistance.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the entire transcript: Surviving & Thriving During the Holidays Webchat.


How to Find the Cancer Resources You Need - Brown Bag Web Chat
by OncoLink Editorial Team
June 15, 2011

The Power of a Cancer Support Group
by Bob Riter
May 26, 2016