See a PT After Surgery to Prevent Lymphedema?

Last Modified: July 22, 2011

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Should I see a physical therapist after cancer surgery to prevent lymphedema?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Andrea Richtel-Branas, MSE, MPT, Lead Therapist, Good Shepherd Penn Partners, responds:

A physical therapist can help to educate you on your risk for lymphedema. At this time we do not know how to prevent lymphedema - but we do know ways to minimize your risk. You should talk to your doctor about getting a referral to a qualified lymphedema threrapist.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.


February 29th is Rare Disease Day
by Christina Bach, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C
February 26, 2016

Cancer Center Advertising: Doing More Harm Than Good?
by Rodney Warner, JD
July 21, 2016

Frequently Asked Questions