Help at Home

Last Modified: August 4, 2011

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

How can I get help at home to take care of myself, like a visiting nurse or nurse’s aide?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Trish Gambino, RN, MSN, Nurse Navigator, responds:
Most insurance companies will pay for skilled nursing visits to teach you how to do certain procedures (such as wound care), physical therapy or occupational therapy. This will only be for a designated amount of time. As far as continued support in the home, you should access your community's office on aging. They may have programs that are supplemented by federal or state funding, should you financially qualify. There are many private agencies available but you must pay out-of-pocket for these services.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the transcript from Finding the Cancer Resources You Need.

Getting Insurance After Cancer