Bone Metastases in Pheochromocytoma

Question

In metastatic pheo, what is the current thinking about treating/removing tumors and bone lesions as they are identified? My understanding is that the concern with bone lesions is the deterioration of the bone. Can bone lesions also be the cause of further spreading of the disease?

Answer

Giorgos Karakousis, MD, Surgical Oncologist at Penn Medicine, responds:

Generally speaking, treatment of metastatic neuroendocrine tumors, including pheos, involves a multidisciplinary approach of surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and interventional radiologists, and the specific approach really depends upon the location of the metastases and the symptoms associated with the metastatic tumor deposits.

David Metz, MD, Gastroenterologist at Penn Medicine, adds:

Bone disease is usually an indication of long-standing disease. Usually this is spread from elsewhere, though theoretically I am sure disease can spread from bone to elsewhere.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat transcript.