Radiation Therapy For Ovarian Cancer?

Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania

Why didn't I get radiation for ovarian cancer? I just had surgery and chemo. Would radiation have decreased the chance of my cancer coming back?

Michael Corradetti, MD, PhD, Radiation Oncology Resident at Penn Medicine, responds:

Unlike surgery and chemotherapy, radiation therapy is not typically employed as part of the primary treatment algorithm for ovarian cancer. Radiation is most often reserved for palliation (to relieve symptoms), and occasionally in the setting of recurrent disease. Clinical trials to re-examine the use of radiation therapy in the primary treatment setting are underway at various institutions but in general do not reflect the current standard of care.

Learn more about ovarian cancer and radiation therapy on OncoLink.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

Survivorship Benefits of Proton Therapy

My Cancer Experience