Making a Survivorship Care Plan

Question

Now that I completed chemotherapy for my cancer, I am nervous to not have as much contact with my oncology team. What should I know about being a "survivor" and what to look for that would be concerning?

Answer

Carolyn Vachani, RN, MSN, AOCN OncoLink Nurse Educator responds:

It is not uncommon to have feelings of uncertainty when you transition to the survivor role. Those frequent oncology visits may feel like a safety net and give you extra comfort. Know the team is always there for you! Then take the next step to survivorship by creating a survivorship care plan that talks more specifically about the psychological concerns, healthy living after cancer and health risks related to cancer treatment. You can create your own care plan at: www.oncolink.org/oncolife.

In addition, you may find the webinar "Cancer Survivorship: Navigating Life After Cancer" to be helpful as well. This webinar on cancer survivorship provides information, tips and resources on transitioning from patient to survivor and making the most of life after cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.

I wish u knew... the importance of survivorship care
by Timothy J. Hampshire

ASCO Endorses ACS Guideline for Prostate CA Survivor Care

Feb 16, 2015

Guideline outlines recommended follow-up care for prostate cancer survivors

ASCO Issues Recommendations to Improve Cancer Survivor Care

Jan 11, 2013

Statement recommends policies, education, and clinical guideline to improve long-term follow-up

Cancer Survivorship Has Little Effect on Birth Outcomes

But offspring of childhood cancer survivors more likely to be premature, have low birth weight