Drug/Herbal Interactions with Arimidex

Question

I am on Arimidex and was concerned about drug/herbal interactions. Are there any that I should be aware of? I have only heard about ones that counteract Tamoxifen.

Answer

Katrina Claghorn, MS, RD, Registered Dietitian at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Herbal products are very complex and often contain many different active compounds. Consequently, there are many ways in which these products may interact with drugs. We are slowly understanding drug-herb interactions, but it is an emerging area of research. Currently, there are few evidence- based guidelines on combining the two, and so we generally discourage taking herbs and drugs simultaneously.

There is some concern that plant compounds that have estrogen- like properties may reduce the action of aromatase inhibitors. These compounds are called phytoestrogens, and they are much, much weaker than human estrogen. The major source of phytoestrogens is soy, although there some herbs that contain these compounds. The reason for the concern is that aromatase inhibitors function to prevent the formation of estradiol, a female hormone, which means they have anti-estrogen effects and help to lower the body’s natural estrogen levels. Since the purpose of Arimidex is to lower estrogen levels, you wouldn’t want to counter this activity by potentially increasing estrogen levels through supplements or diet.

At this point, the interaction is hypothetical; it has not been determined whether phytoestrogens in plant, food, and herbal products reduce the effects of aromatase inhibitors. However, until there are more studies and guidelines, the recommendation is to limit the intake of soy foods in your diet, and to avoid supplements that contain soy and/or phytoestrogens. Unfortunately, it has not been determined how many of servings of soy can safely be included in the diet, but a couple of servings a week should be fine. Since the information on this topic is constantly changing, we suggest speaking to your oncologist for guidelines.

Cancer With Grace

Don't Assume You Understand

Carcinogen Levels Similar in Herbal, Regular Cigarettes

Jul 31, 2015

Study investigates cigarettes containing medicinal herbs, which are growing more popular in China

Ibrutinib Promotes Remission in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia

Jun 27, 2013

Drug targets interactions with the tumor microenvironment

Herbal Carcinogen Linked to Urothelial Cancer in Taiwan

Apr 16, 2012

Carcinogen associated with A:T to T:A transversions in tumor suppressor and oncogenes

From the National Cancer Institute