Running Incompatible Agents Through a Double Lumen Catheter

Is there a problem with running oxaliplatin through one side of a double port while running normal saline through the other? My understanding is that one side's opening is proximal to the other side's opening and the two solutions would not mix.

Gloria DiLullo, MSN, CRNP, OncoLink Medical Oncology Educational Content Specialist, responds:

No, there is no problem with running oxaliplatin through one side of a double port and normal saline through the other, or any incompatible solutions for that matter. You are correct in that the solutions will exit the tubing at different openings, one proximal to the other. In addition, they will go into a very large blood vessel with turbulent blood flow so that they will be taken quickly into the circulatory system and not have the chance to pool and mix.

My Cancer Experience

Agent Orange Tied to MGUS in Vietnam Vets

Exposed veterans have higher rates of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance

2001 to 2006 Saw Increase in Mohs Surgery for Skin Cancer

Apr 18, 2012

For Medicare beneficiaries, rate of micrographic surgery for nonmelanoma skin cancer doubled

Dual Targeting Approach Reduces Tumor Volume in Rats

Tumor necrosis/targeted ionizing radiation ups tumor doubling time in implanted liver rhabdomyocytes