Traveling for Treatment

Question

I am going to need treatment and will need to travel a distance everyday from my home to the treatment center. Is there any financial assistance to defray the cost of travel?

Answer

Tracy Lautenbach, MSW, LCSW, Social Worker in the Radiation Oncology Department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Check with your local American Cancer Society Office. In most regions ACS has financial assistance available in the form of mileage reimbursement. Also, Cancer Care assists with a small stipend for travel to and from treatments. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has financial assistance for travel as well. Sometimes it is not feasible for patients to travel for treatments if they are coming from a great distance. In these instances there are options for patients/family to lodge locally near to the treatment facility.

See our resource list for more resources.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Legal & Financial Challenges Facing People with Cancer. View the entire transcript here.

AACR: Travel Distance Tied to Later-Stage Breast CA Diagnosis

Oct 31, 2013 - Travel distance to a comprehensive cancer center is associated with stage of breast cancer at diagnosis and surgery type, according to a study presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research, held from Oct. 27 to 30 in National Harbor, Md.