Tumor of the Spleen

My 12 year-old miniature schnauzer recently had a splenectomy due to a large, rapidly growing tumor. The pathology report calls the tumor a "Splenic Stromal Sarcoma". Can you tell me anything about this type of tumor?

Lili Duda, VMD, Section Editor of the OncoLink Veterinary Oncology Menu, responds:

"Splenic Stromal Sarcoma" is probably referring to a tumor also known as "malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the spleen". In general, any sarcoma of the spleen has the potential to metastasize (spread) to other areas of the body, including the liver and lungs. Therefore, systemic chemotherapy might be indicated for your dog. Consultation with a veterinary oncologist is recommended. The veterinary oncologist might consider obtaining a second opinion on the biopsy specimen to confirm the diagnosis and possibly get a better idea of the prognosis, since this is a relatively uncommon tumor of the spleen. Please see the FAQ on "Fibrohistiocytic Nodules" for more information.

7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday

Ruxolitinib Reduces Spleen Size in Myelofibrosis

Mar 1, 2012

Two studies show benefits of Janus kinase inhibitor versus best available treatment or placebo

Agent Orange Tied to MGUS in Vietnam Vets

Nov 30, 2015

Exposed veterans have higher rates of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance

Nicotine Dependence Underdiagnosed in U.S. Vets

Vets without diagnosis less likely to be diagnosed and treated