Someone To Care For My Children

Last Modified: May 11, 2010

Share article


Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"

I’m a single parent being treated for cancer. How do I make arrangements for someone to care for my children?


Rodney N. Warner, Staff Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, Staff Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, responds:

Many states (PA and NJ included) have standby guardianship laws. They enable you to nominate someone to be guardian of your child if you become mentally and/or physically incapacitated, or die. Procedures vary from state to state. The other parent would have to consent to someone else taking this role, or would have to be shown as unfit to care for the child.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Legal & Financial Challenges Facing People with Cancer. View the entire transcript here.

I Wish You Knew

How an oncology social worker can improve your cancer experience

View More

Blogs and Web Chats

OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.

OncoLink OncoPilot

Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!

Learn More