Expiration of Sunscreen

Question

I am wondering how long the SPF value lasts in the tube of sunscreen! I do tend to save it from year to year. Thank you.

Answer

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

Look on the bottle for an expiration date and don’t use after that. The FDA requires that the product be stable at the strength stated on the bottle for three years- but can you ever know how long they were on the shelf at the store? So, go with an expiration date.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series: Sun Safety and Skin Cancer Prevention Webchat. View the entire transcript here.

Don't Assume You Understand

Improved Availability of Sunscreen Increases Usage

Feb 20, 2012

Usage up among female collegiate athletes when sunscreen is placed in golf bags, locker rooms

Text Messages Shown to Help Improve Sunscreen Use

Study finds a daily reminder prompts people to apply sunscreen to protect their skin

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011