LEEP vs. Hysterectomy

Last Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Question:

I am 40 years old and have pre-cancerous lesions of the cervix. I will not be having any more children and would like to know if a hysterectomy would be a better way to go than the LEEP procedure? I would like to live without the fear that the pre-cancerous lesions could come back and could turn into cancer. Your response would very helpful.

Answer:

For most precancerous lesions of the cervix LEEP is an appropriate treatment with a high success rate. For patients with severe or extensive abnormalities, recurrent abnormalities, or other gynecologic conditions for which hysterectomy may be indicated, removal of the uterus can be an option. You should discuss the details of your situation with your physician.

HPV Awareness Day
by Karen Arnold-Korzeniowski, BSN, RN
March 4, 2018

I wish u knew…Cancer Research & Genetics
by Timothy J. Hampshire
January 21, 2013

#