Diet Needs for Dog Being Treated for Cancer

Question:

My dog is starting on chemo for lymphoma. Do you have suggestions for a diet that might help manage any side effects or keep him from losing weight?

Erika Krick, VMD, DACVIM Veterinary Medical Oncologist, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Answer:

Hill's has a diet for dogs with cancer called n/d that you could discuss with your veterinarian. We recommend that dogs with cancer receive either a good quality commercial diet or a balanced home-cooked diet, and you can consult with your vet or a veterinary nutritionist about cooking for your dog. I do not recommend that dogs on chemotherapy eat raw meat as they are at risk for developing infections from raw meat and could even pass these infections on to their owners.

Learn more about Nutrition in Pets with Cancer.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

Keywords

Is There Anything I Can Do For You?
by OncoLink Team
August 9, 2016

How to Dare Greatly With Cancer
by Marlys Johnson
August 8, 2016

#