OncoLinkTV: Special Webcasts from ASCO 2003
Last Modified: June 27, 2003
On June 1, 2003, Vital Options® International, OncoLink, and People Living with Cancer presented two broadcasts of The Group Room® Cancer Talk Radio Show from the 39th annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in Chicago, IL.
In order to view the following video segments, you will need the free RealPlayer from RealNetworks.
ASCO Clinical Information Update
Clinical Information Update: Part 1
Clinical Information Update: Part 2
The Group Room's host Selma R. Schimmel and leading oncologists discuss highlights of the meeting and clinical updates about cancers affecting the breast, lung, and the lymphatic system as well as Quality of Life. Guests included:
- Frank Haluska, MD, Director of Melanoma Research at Massachusetts General Hospital, Director of the Melanoma Program at Dana-Farber/Partners Cancer Care, and Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School. He is also the Chair of ASCO's Cancer Communications Committee
- William Gradishar, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, Director of Breast Oncology and Division of Hematology/Oncology, at Northwestern University, Fineberg School of Medicine and a member of the ASCO Communications Committee
- David H. Johnson, MD, Director, Division of Medical Oncology & Hematology, Deputy Director, Vanderbilt Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University Medical School, Nashville, TN. He also serves on the Speakers Bureau of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), with specific expertise in lung cancer and chemotherapy/ pharmacology and is ASCO's Incoming President-Elect
- Chandra Belani, MD, Professor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Co-Director, Lung and Thoracic Cancer Program, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA
- Stephanie Gregory, MD, Professor of Medicine at Rush Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois and Elodia Kehm Professor and Director of Hematology at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center/Rush Cancer Institute, Chicago, Illinois
Patient Advocacy Feature Special Focusing on Survivorship
While in the first broadcast the panelists will be oncologists, the second show featured patient advocates on the panel and the doctors in the audience, entering into a live discussion about issues related to patient advocacy. Joining Ms. Schimmel for the second show to discuss issues in support of National Cancer Survivors Day, were the following guests:
- Diane Blum, ACSW, Executive Director, Cancer Care, Inc and Editor-in-chief of PeopleLivingWithCancer.org, the ASCO Website for patients and the public
- Kim Thiboldeaux, President and CEO, The Wellness Community
- Margaret Kirk, Chief Executive Officer, Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
- Paula Kim, President and Founder, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PanCan);
- Ann Kolker, Executive Director, Ovarian Cancer National Alliance (OCNA)
- Ellen Stovall, President and CEO, National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship (NCCS)
Select the side effects and forms for your patient's treatment binder
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Facing a new cancer diagnosis or changing the course of your current treatment? Let our cancer nurses help you through!