Vegetarian Side Dish: Millet Mashed Potatoes
Author: OncoLink Team
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 cup millet
- 2¼ cup water
- ½ medium cauliflower, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste (I used ½ tsp salt)
- handful of chopped parsley
- Wash grains. Bring water to a boil.
- Add grains, cauliflower, garlic and salt
- Reduce head to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until grains are cooked and water is absorbed
- Turn the heat off and let sit, covered for 5-10 minutes
- Roast garlic cloves in olive oil over low heat
- Add other ingredients and blend in a food processor
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve
Recipe adapted from: Rosenthal Joshua. Integrative Nutrition. New York, NY: Integrative Nutrition Publishing; 2008.
Calories: 162 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 27g Sodium: 215mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Folate: 63mcg
About the author
Melissa Kavanaugh is a first year graduate student at Drexel University. She is working towards her Masters in Human Nutrition and is completing the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian. Melissa earned her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in Accounting and Finance and worked in industry for 4 years before deciding to change careers and pursue her true passions: nutrition and fitness. In addition to nutrition, Melissa went back to school for fitness and currently holds Personal Training and Group Fitness certifications from the American Council on Exercise. She teaches weekly ballet bar and strength training classes in addition to working one on one with clients to achieve their fitness goals. Melissa enjoys cooking and creating fun and easy recipes. She is excited and honored to be a contributor to OncoLink.