Vegetarian Entree: Curried Coconut Lentil Soup
Author: OncoLink Team
Recipe type: Entree
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 small, garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked lentils, divided
- 2 cups coconut water, divided (can use low sodium chicken broth instead)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tbsp coconut butter (can use regular butter instead)
- Sauté carrots, onion, and garlic in ½ cup coconut water (adding more as needed) over medium heat until carrots are soft and onions and garlic are translucent.
- In a blender, add half of carrot, onion, and garlic mixture, 2 cups lentils, salt, curry and 1½ cups coconut water and blend on high until smooth.
- In a medium soup pot, add blended mixture, remaining lentils, and coconut butter.
- Cook on medium/high heat, stirring often until coconut butter is mixed in.
Note that potassium content will be lower and sodium content may be higher if chicken broth is used in place of coconut water.
Calories: 234 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 40g Sodium: 444mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 15g Cholesterol: 0mg Potassium: 985mg Vitamin A: 255mcg Folate: 283mcg
About the author
Melissa Kavanaugh is a first year graduate student at Drexel University. She is working towards her Masters in Human Nutrition and is completing the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian. Melissa earned her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in Accounting and Finance and worked in industry for 4 years before deciding to change careers and pursue her true passions: nutrition and fitness. In addition to nutrition, Melissa went back to school for fitness and currently holds Personal Training and Group Fitness certifications from the American Council on Exercise. She teaches weekly ballet bar and strength training classes in addition to working one on one with clients to achieve their fitness goals. Melissa enjoys cooking and creating fun and easy recipes. She is excited and honored to be a contributor to OncoLink.