Transportation Resources for Pediatric Cancer Patients
Are you having trouble getting to your child's treatment center?
- Talk with the social worker in your cancer center about local transportation resources for people with cancer.
- Your cancer center may have a local van service available.
- Local cancer service organizations may provide transportation assistance or reimbursements.
- Your local Ronald McDonald House may provide shuttle transportation to and from the house and the treatment center (if you are staying at the house).
Alex's Lemonade Stand: Travel Fund
- Applications must be initiated by a certified healthcare professional.
- Travel: Airline tickets, gas cards, rail tickets, cab or parking vouchers.
- Lodging: Hotels & philanthropic housing.
- Meals: Food vouchers from the hospital's on-site cafeteria and local area restaurants.
- Patients under 21 and in active treatment for cancer are potentially eligible.
- Families must be receiving cancer treatment at a “partner facility”.
- Learn more on their website: http://www.alexslemonade.org/travel-fund
Lymphoma Research Foundation Financial Assistance Program
- Available to those diagnosed with lymphoma and going through active treatment who meet specific financial criteria.
- To learn more, call 800-500-9976 or visit their website: https://www.lymphoma.org/learn/supportservices/financialsupport/
Mercy Medical Healing
- Provides gas cards, commercial ground transportation (AMTRAK, Greyhound, Trailways, etc.), and volunteer drivers.
- Scheduled medical appointment.
- Clearance by a physician to travel.
- Verifiable financial need.
- Foundation prefers 7 days notification of transportation needs.
- To apply for assistance visit: https://angelwheels.org or call 1-800-768-0238.
- Provides free air transportation for medical needs. The patient must be medically cleared for air travel.
- Several branches throughout the country including:
- Angel Flight NE www.angelflightne.org
- Angel Flight Soars (SW US) www.angelflightsoars.org
- Angel Flight East www.angelflighteast.org
- Angel Flight West www.angelflightwest.org
- Angel Flight Central www.angelflightcentral.org
- Angel Flight South Central www.angelflightsc.org
Patient Airlift Services (PALS)
- Provides free air transportation to individuals and families who need to travel to receive treatment but cannot afford to fly commercially.
- Patients must be ambulatory and able to sit upright
- Primarily services the Greater Northeast region of the US: Virginia to Maine and Ohio to Massachusetts
Compass to Care
- Schedules and pays for transportation to treatment centers.
- Must be under 18, travel more than 60 miles for treatment, and demonstrate financial need.
The National Children’s Cancer Society: Transportation Assistance Fund
- Provides financial assistance for transportation costs associated with pediatric cancer treatment.
- The child must be diagnosed on or before their 18th birthday.
- The child must be a US citizen or reside in the US.
- The family must demonstrate financial hardship.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Offers travel grants nationally and locally. Fund availability varies.